Your Soccer Guide to Charlotte
Missing soccer now that the World Cup has come to a close? Well Charlotte has plenty of ways for you to get in on the fútbol action. Here’s your guide to Soccer in Charlotte.
by Danielle Doyle Jul 13, 2018
Get in the game
- Soccer Shots: Get your little ones out on the field with this children’s soccer league. Soccer shots helps kids to stay active while teaching them life skills outside of the game.
- Sports Link: Still love the game, even years after playing? Reignite you passion with Sportslink Coed League. Whether you’re a beginner or possibly the next David Beckham, they offer different levels of play so you can show off your skills.
Root for the home team
Enjoy a match with local soccer fans
- Courtyard Hooligans: A local international sports pub that is open for every European soccer game (yes, they’re even open for those early morning games).
- Graham St. Pub & Patio: The newest pub to open in Charlotte with the Bank of America Stadium is just 500 feet away.
- The Rogue: An Irish Pub & Kitchen in Dilworth where you can enjoy a Frozen Irish Coffee and catch the latest match-up.
And if you’re really feeling the soccer spirit, you don’t want to miss the epic showdown between the German kings, Borussia Dortmund, and the skillful English club, Liverpool FC, as the International Champions Cup returns to Charlotte, July 22. Here is a quick cheat sheet for this match-up.
- Christian Pulisic: A phenomenal midfielder, the American national player will make his way back to the states wearing Borrussia Dortmund black and yellow.
- Mario Götze: After scoring the winning goal to defeat Argentina in the 2014 World Cup, Götze is the player to keep your eye on.
- Mohammad Salah: the Egyptian national player will be Liverpool’s top target in the match against Borussia. In his first season with Liverpool he scored 32 times in 36 matches.
- James Milner: the English native will be looking to give Götze a hard time in the middle, and create some mayhem of his own for the Liverpool side. He currently holds the record for most assists in a UEFA Champions League campaign.
Decipher the Lingo
- “He’s off!” aka offsides. When a player is offsides they are behind the last defender in their attacking half.
- “That was a flop!” – Think of this as method acting, really playing up that “foul.” “Where’s the card!?” – The fan believes the referee needs to pull either a yellow card or a red card on a player who has made an unfavorable move.
Where to be for game time
Saturday, July 21, 7:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.
Join Liverpool FC Legends and celebrate your team before their Sunday game at Rooftop 210! Featuring live music from Jamie Webster!
Murphy's Kitchen & Tap
Sunday, July 22, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Free to Public
Fun games, prizes, and giveaways!!Presented to you by Wilson’s World and the Anfield Shop (expect a sea of red)
Graham St. Pub & Patio
Sunday, July 22, 10 a.m. - July 23, 12 a.m.
Didn't get tickets to the match? Head to Graham St. for a day of soccer where they'll have the game on all of their TVs and a special gameday menu.
The Heineken Official Tailgate on the Corner of Mint & Morehead
Sunday, July 22, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Free to Public
Heineken beer garden, foosball, corn hole and a DJ
Presented to you by Heineken the official beer sponsor of the ICC
The World Cup has brought heartache to so many players on these rosters so they will have an extra chip on their shoulders to show the world, and Charlotte, exactly what they came to do. We look forward to celebrating the ICC’s return on July 22.