Take a Giant Leap to Discovery Place Science’s Apollo: When We Went to the Moon
Travel through space and time as you immerse yourself in the first Moon landing. Go behind the scenes of the first Moon landing with Discovery Place Science’s newest traveling exhibition Apollo: When We Went to the Moon.
by Liz Logan Oct 11, 2021
Discovery Place Science
This post is brought to you in partnership with Discovery Place Science.
Apollo has landed at Discovery Place Science, but it's only in Charlotte for a limited time. Take a journey into the history of space exploration with an immersive exhibition that takes you back in time to the historic first Moon landing, exploring the influence of culture, technology and politics from the heated Space Race era.
This interactive exhibition takes explorers of all ages from the excitement of the Apollo Era to NASA's current Artemis program, celebrating the achievements and wonder of space travel and its impact on the understanding of our universe and the imagining of what’s next.
Whether a space enthusiast, history-lover or thrill-seeker you will experience astronomical enjoyment as you launch yourself into the thrill of the Space Race while gaining an excitement for the future of space travel as we experience this giant leap for humankind.
As a part of this exciting exhibit, you’ll:
- Get hands-on with a lunar meteorite and leave virtual footprints on the moon
- Listen for the “beep heard round the world” coming from a true-to-scale Sputnik 1 model
- Feel the rumble of an actual rocket launch
- View Apollo Era artifacts like newspapers, letters and magazines
- Explore the boots and gear worn by Apollo astronauts
- Pose for a Moon selfie atop a Lunar Rover model
- Get the full astronaut experience, complete with audio and visual, of the first Moon landing
Masks are required for all guests, age two and up, regardless of vaccination status. All guests must register for a time slot via science.discoveryplace.org.
General admission pricing:
- Adults (14-59) - $19-$23
- Children (2-13) - $15-$18
- Seniors (60+) - $17-$20
- Members – Free
Apollo: When We Went to the Moon is free with general admission tickets and will run through January 2.