21 Ways Charlotte Can Help You Keep Your 2021 Resolutions
With mild weather, new small businesses opening, world-class museums, nearby trails, and more, Charlotte is the perfect place to enact your New Year’s resolutions.
by Ashley Rossi Jan 06, 2021
Whether you’re new to Charlotte, a long-time resident, or looking to visit the Queen City in 2021, there are plenty of fun and safe activities to enjoy while maintaining your New Year’s resolutions. Here are 21 things to do in Charlotte that will help boost your #2021goals.
Per a COVID-19-related Mecklenburg County health directive issued Jan. 12, 2021, please note that some businesses may have modified their hours of operation and changed procedures in order to comply with CDC and Mecklenburg County Health Department guidelines. Please wear a mask, limit any non-essential activities and refrain from gathering with anyone outside of your household.
With more than 50 miles of developed greenways and moderate weather year-round, so much of the city’s offerings can be experienced outdoors. Whether it’s a hike in nearby Crowder State Park, kayaking on neighboring Lake Norman, or enjoying the city’s urban green spaces, you’ll have no trouble keeping up with your fitness and health goals.
1. Use the city’s Charlotte Trail Guide to find a trail that’s right for you.
2. Raft at the U.S. National Whitewater Center, hike more than 30 miles of trails, challenge yourself at the climbing center, or get your adrenaline pumping on the zip line.
Learn More About the City You Love
Charlotte’s been known as a railroad junction, a hub for cotton mill production, and today as a fast-growing banking city. Educate yourself about the Queen City’s past and learn about Meck Dec, the city’s namesake, and more.
4. Discover the city's history through its public artworks.
5. B.Y.O.B. and hop on the red school bus with Funny Bus Comedy City Tour. The 1.5-hour-long city tour is hosted by a comedian for guaranteed fun.
Live a Healthier Lifestyle
It’s easy to keep up with your health goals in Charlotte with so many outdoor offerings. From outdoor workout classes to dog parks, these are some of our favorite ways to stay healthy in Charlotte.
7. Sign up for a workout class through Hygge Wellness. The co-working spaces brand launched its wellness arm in 2020 and has spacious indoor space as well as outdoor offerings like yoga and circuit-training classes.
8. Don’t forget about your furry friend’s health. Head to Skiptown with your pup for some exercise and socialization.
9. Air your grievances at RockBox Fitness. During their one-hour boxing workouts, you'll learn how to properly jab, cross, hook and uppercut while jamming out to the latest tunes. No matter if you're a newbie or a pro, these workouts are designed to be enjoyed by everyone for every fitness level.
Everyone deserves to treat themselves after the roller-coaster year that was 2020. Enjoy a day to yourself or as a couple away from the kids with one of these indulgent activities.
12. Grab a friend (or make it a date night) and test out your painting skills with a Wine & Design class.
Embrace Your Inner Foodie
If your New Year’s resolution is to cook more in 2021, or you’re looking to expand your culinary palette, try these foodie-centric experiences in Charlotte.
13. Sign up for a cooking class with Chef Alyssa's Kitchen. You can choose from in-person or virtual classes, both offering lots of things to learn and lots of fun.
14. Tour Uptown for brunch, lunch, or dinner with Taste Carolina. They also offer custom brewery tours in South End.
15. Book a reservation at Counter- and experience the rotating tasting menu from Chef Sam Hart.
Try a New Skill
These local Charlotte-based companies make learning a new skill easy. No matter your interest or skill level, you’ll find something new and exciting to learn either in-person or virtually.
16. Choose from a variety of craft and food classes with SkillPop, like breadmaking, embroidery, and wine tasting. Or, learn a new hard skill like digital marketing or graphic design. (Currently, classes are being held virtually).
17. Brush up on your baking skills with a class from Sweet Spot Studio. Learn how to frost cookies, craft the perfect macaron and decorate cakes like a pro.
18. Brighten up your space with a DIY arrangement class from Charlotte Flower Market.
From used book stores to local specialty shops, there are plenty of options to support your reading goals in 2021.
19. Give back to the Charlotte community with a purchase at Julia’s Cafe & Books. Sales from the cozy used bookstore and cafe supports the region’s Habitat for Humanity organization.
20. Browse the aisles at Park Road Books, the city’s only full-service, independent book shop.
21. Visit any of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library’s 19 branches throughout the Charlotte area for book loans and other programming. The main library, located in the heart of Uptown, boasts over 150,000 square feet of space.